Absorbent Bilge Socks have been designed to fit into small and large boat bilges to absorb any free oil or fuel. Each product comes with a tie to secure it for easy retrieval. The products simply float around the bilge and scavenge any free hydrocarbon from the bilge water before being pumped overboard.
The Swan River Trust encourages the use of bilge socks/pillows and reminds Members that it is an offence to release contaminated bilge water into the marine environment.
Bilge socks will float until they have become saturated with hydrocarbons. When their absorption capacity is full, they must be replaced. Replacement frequency is determined through visual checks, as the products will be dark in color from contamination. Saturated Bilge socks should then be placed in a secure plastic bag and, in most States, can be discarded to regular garbage. However, always check with your Marina or local waste authority before discarding any hydrocarbon-containing materials.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Contains, absorbs and encapsulates
- Rapid oil absorption on water
- Excellent absorption properties – high capacity
- Manufactured in Australia from recycled cellulose materials
- Lightweight and easy to use and dispose. Requires no special training
- 100% Biodegradable, Incinerable – with low ash residue
- Non-toxic, non-abrasive, non-carcinogenic
- It is acceptable to place in a plastic bag and dispose of into general waste facilities
Absorbent products such as Bilge socks help both Marinas and their members meet their legal environmental obligations.
Absorbent products are available from your local chandlery of choice and are generally very cheap to buy.
Let us all work together to keep our river beautiful.
Any questions or queries? Please contact the Bosun to discuss the Club's environmental management plan or any concerns you might regarding the abovementioned points.